Saturday, May 20, 2006

Hot Dogs in a Bowl? Yes- I kid you not!

I haven't posted in awhile mainly because I have been in school and I haven't really been cooking anything all that interesting. But this past week was good as far as eats and drinks go. For two days this week (seven hours total) I got paid to taste wine and eat food. It was amazing. Maybe I'll write a post on wine tasting next because it is honestly something I have always wanted to get into and my job has given me a wonderful opportunity to learn how.

But that's not why I'm posting today. I had the most amazing salad today. And when I describe it to you, you might go ewww especially if you don't like loaded hot dogs. I tried one of Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals and it turned out pretty awesome. It is pretty much a salad that tastes like a loaded hot dog WITHOUT the bun. I think this is awesome, because I am not a huge fan of hot dog buns.

The only thing I changed about the recipe (as always) was the amount I made for myself and I used turkey dogs instead of beef or pork. Anyhow... without further ado I give you Rachael Ray's Chicago Dog Salad. Enjoy!

CHICAGO DOG SALAD

1/4 cup yellow mustard
2 tablespoons vinegar (eyeball it)
1 rounded teaspoon sugar
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 sack (8 ounces) shredded cabbage blend for slaw salads
1 romaine lettuce heart, shredded
2 vine-ripe tomatoes, diced
3 large half-sour OR garlic pickles, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 pork OR beef hot dogs, cut diagonally into 1-inch-thick slices

In bottom of a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, sugar and about 3 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add red onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes and pickles and toss salad; season with salt and pepper, adjust seasonings, and reserve.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining tablespoon vegetable oil (once around the pan), then arrange sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear for a couple of minutes on each side.

Mound up salad on plates and top with seared dogs and serve. Makes 4 servings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home